Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I can't wait to have my own classroom

As most of you know I am in a practicum class on Mondays and Wednesdays where I am in a kindergarten class all day. I am supposed to teach at least one lesson each day. Before when I taught lessons I would keep it pretty close to my cooperating teachers style of teaching. Recently I have been wanting to venture out and try some new things. I thought, what better time than right now? I mean, this is what this class is for. To practice teaching, build confidence and develop good teaching skills. Part of that is trying different methods. On Monday and today when I taught I tried different techniques. On Monday we were talking about the letter "I" so I had them find items that start with an "I" in a book I read, and then we made the an uppercase and lowercase "I" with our bodies. I thought the kids would enjoy it, and they did. Today we talked about adjectives. I had centers for them, which means that we started all together, but then I divided the class into threes and each group had a different station. Each station had a different activity to help them understand better what an adjective is. Each group would move so they would get to all stations. I thought I was a great idea, but I felt the dissaprovement of my teacher. The lesson didn't run as smoothly as I had hoped, but this is why I am teaching now, to see what works and what doesn't. Well, at the end of the day I asked her what she wanted me to teach on Monday. She said, you just need to show up, I won't have you teach anything on Monday. That was so frustrating for me. I know I am not perfect, but just because I do some lessons that aren't exactly her style doesn't mean I shouldn't teach. Hopefully when I student teach my cooperating teacher will be flexible and allow me to try different teaching techniques.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Oh Kristina, how horrible! What a grouch. Honestly I have never been in a class that DIDN'T do centers to help the kids learn.

You are awesome and your next class & teacher will be lucky to have you when all of this is said and done. Keep up the great work!

kelly said...

What a stick in the mud! Lesson learned, don't get stuck in my ways. Your ideas sound great, and fun! You'll be such a great teacher and tutor for Easton. ;)

Melissa said...

Every kindergarten class I've been in had learning centers for kids.