Friday, August 21, 2009

Monday

Is it really time, are new kids really coming into my class that soon? Do I really need to start working with a whole lot of ELL kids, and kids with special needs?

I am so not feeling ready for the year to start. My room is ready, all the copies are ready for the first week, lesson plans are done, and I feel confident with what I have prepared. What I am not feeling confident with is my new class. I have had a couple of parents talk to me already about their kids, and I am it's not looking good. I won't go into detail, but I need to keep a close eye on some students. I am also not feeling confident with all my ESL students. Since I am getting my endorsement I am in charge of their education. Forty-five minutes a day I have to get all of them together and teach them. This will be interesting since their English skills range from not knowing much English at all, to almost fluent. It is intimidating for me.

Plus, since I am not a new teacher anymore I don't get the new teacher slack, I am expected to know it all, and do it all. I know I am capable, but it is nice to have that room to be stupid, and everyone else will say, she's new, she doesn't know any better. I know I don't need to be perfect, but I hope that I can rise to the occassion and do better.

I am determined to enjoy my last weekend of freedom for nine months, and start practicing my no-nonsense face/attitude for Monday.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Good luck! Being a teacher is very challenging, but I'm sure you'll rise to the occasion!

Kerstin and Josh Milazzo said...

I saw you teaching for 1 transfer and I loved the way you taught. I know (this is my testimony :) ) that you can do ANYTHING. You have the best mixture of kindness and consequence and the kids will love you and the good thing is :) angel will be around you.. Do what you can and the rest will work out somehow. My mom got a new class and the first weeks were more than chaotic, but she learned to get them under control after some weeks. And so will you :)