Now, first thing that I am frustrated is about our new car. Last Thursday we paid our down payment, signed all the papers, and "got" a loan for the rest. Well, we got a letter in the mail yesterday say we were denied the loan. What is stupid is the reason we were rejected for the loan is because of the length of time I have worked for Granite School District, and how long we have lived in our apartment. This is so stupid because we have rockin' credit scores, but we don't get it because I have been a teacher for only a year. I'm sorry, I have only been graduated from college a year. How stupid is this! We're not sure what will happen with the car yet. Stephen is going to go in and talk to them.
Secondly, I know that people are not going to agree with me on this, because parents always have crap to say about public schools, but here it goes. I am so sick of all the complaning I hear about schools: the teacher isn't doing this, my student doesn't have that. I'm sorry that your are not happy with us, but look for a moment from a teacher in Utah's perspective. The average class size is 27 kids. 27 very different kids, with different needs, different backgrounds, different challenges, and different attitudes. In my class alone I have reading levels ranging from first to eighth grade. And I as the teacher am expected to teach all of these kids at grade level, all day long, in every subject, ALONE! Yes, in Utah they didn't have much money before, in the country we have the lowest amount of money per student in the country, but now because of the economy my school alone is losing $35,ooo for the school year. If we didn't have the money for aids, or specialist before, we cetainly don't now. I am not trying to say that this means teachers shouldn't be accountable for what is going on in class, they should, but give them some slack if you don't feel your child isn't getting the indiviualized attention it deserves all day.
I need to be done talking about schools, I could go on forever, and I need to get ready for church.
4 comments:
So I have been thinking about that a lot lately too, would you say in your opinion that it is better for you child to go to a charter school?
Ugg, sorry about the car- that is so lame!
I agree about the school issue. Utah should be ashamed at how little attention and funding they give the school, and then expect the teachers to work miracles with next to no resources. The parents should be upset with the administration and tax codes vs. the teachers. I am SO sorry you have to deal with that!
Remember, at Rahn School, they had many parent volunteers that would help in extra areas that addressed reading, and math. It focused on the child and supported the teacher. Mayber your school could start such a program. I remember doing that for a few years. It was fun.
what's going on with the car loan? You guys should apply with another lender. I recommend going with a credit union. Do you have a teacher's credit union?
Post a Comment