Thursday, February 19, 2009

Ambulance Ride

Yesterday was a crazy day, one that I never expected.

It started off normal enough. Had breakfast, went to work early, and prepared for the day. Around 9:30 I started not feeling so good. A little dizzy, but that is about all. At 10:00 I had to sit down while I was teaching because I was starting to feel queasy. At 10:10 I had the students do a worksheet while I put my head down, I was starting to feel really bad. I thought that if I put my head down for a bit I would feel better, but the opposite happened. I started getting really bad stomach cramps, I got even more nauseous and dizzy, and I got cold sweats. I wanted to lay on the floor, but I didn't want to freak the kids out too much. One of my students asked me if she should go to the office to get the sub. I agreed. The vice-principal came back with a parent that was helping in the lower grades. As the kids were leaving the room with the sub I started throwing up. I was also so weak I couldn't stand so I laid on the floor. The vice-principal called Stephen at school, and said that they were going to call an ambulance and that Stephen should meet me at the hospital.

About five minutes later the paramedics come, put me on a stretcher, wheel me outside, and into the the ambulance. Now, my room is in the far corner of the school so I had to be wheeled through the whole school to get to the front doors, so a lot students and teachers saw me. That would scare me as a kid.

I get into the ambulance, and try to get an IV in, but no luck, I have really small veins. Luckily there is a hospital really close to the school, it only took 10 minutes to get there.

When I get to the hospital Stephen is there, and I am starting to feel a little better. They did a lot of tests on me, but they could find nothing wrong with me. They think it is maybe the flu, but they didn't say for sure. We were there for four and a half hours, and we got home around 3:30.

I took today off work to play it safe. I feel better, I still feel weak, but not sick at all. It's weird. I do have the sweetest kids though. I had to go to school early this morning to drop off my lesson plans for the day, and they made a big welcome back sign, and they were a bunch of get well cards on my desk. I really do think I have the best class ever.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How scary! I hope you never have to go through that again!

LOLiTA said...

Oh my! What an ordeal to have to go through! I hope you're better real soon. How sweet are your students!

Sarah said...

Crazy! I hope that you are feeling better and this was just a crazy one time incident.

Nicole said...

HOLY COW XTINA! that is crazy, im glad your fine. Maybe you have been drinking that water ;)!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are ok. That is scary!

Karen said...

Oh no, how scary! I am glad you are feeling better now!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, whatever must have hit you hard and fast. Glad you are feeling better. What a great class you have.