Monday, December 7, 2009

Where has the fun gone?

Yesterday my sister gave Stephen some DVDs to burn. They are old home videos that she just put on DVD from a tape. There is one tape that is of a school program I had in first grade. My class sang (which had only 21 students in it), put on a play, and played some instruments. Keep in mind that it was first graders so the caliber of the music was not high, but I was marveling that I had that. In the class that I teach there is no music teacher, art teacher, or PE teacher. Plus, so much of an emphasis is placed on tests being passed and such that we really don't have time for that. That makes me sad. It makes me sad that I got to participate in all these fun things, and I was able to cultivate me creativity, and learn the arts when students really don't. They won't get make all the fun art projects that I did in school. They won't have the fun tapes or pictures to look at when they're older of programs they did.

I wish that I could give them that experience. But again, no times, or means. It makes me think, did we really turn out that bad? As a whole are we so uneducated that we need to transform our schools so that we have bigger class sizes (I have 31 students) and test these kids to death?

Anyway, I am thinking about putting a little bit of the tape up, it is so funny, and cute (to me at least).

2 comments:

Karen said...

So true, we can thank all the cheap tax payers and their gov't reps for lack of funding for the education of our children. And to think people here are proud of the fact they are ranked #50 out of the 50 states for student spending. Amazing.

kelly said...

Ditto to you all-and yes, that video is adorable